Is your HP printer showing a fault message with a status of “unknown”? Many HP printer users have faced this matter, which is informal and rapid to solve. Here, we will deliberate a step-by-step director to help you classify the reason for the “HP Printer Status Unknown” problem and solve it efficiently. First and foremost, you need to check for the definite cause of the delinquent before hoping for an explanation. Also, restart your printer to check for a quick resolution. Sometimes, restarting may resolve a countless number of problems.
What is HP Printer Status Unknown?
The Status Unknown error in your HP printer shows that the printer is in an idle state or it may be offline. There can be an opportunity that the printer is in sleep or idle mode as the user has not used it for some time. Due to this, it may display an error as “Status Unknown.” The user can wake up the printer immediately and get it occupied without any additional meddling. However, sometimes there can be convinced other matters ensuing in the same matter, for which you must follow up with correct troubleshooting phases.
What are the Causes of HP Printer Status Unknown?
There are many possible reasons for an HP printer showing a status of unknown. Some of the most significant common reasons contain:
- The printer is not turned ON.
- The printer is not linked correctly to the computer or the network
- There is a matter with the printer driver.
- The printer is in standby mode
- The printer has left into sleep mode.
- The USB cable is injured or not correctly associated.
- A communication fault between the printer and the computer.
How to Troubleshoot and Fix HP Printer Status Unknown?
You can trail numerous steps to troubleshoot and determine the error. But, before that, you need to arrange a definite motive. Follow the steps underneath to dose it:
- Reboot Your Devices
Resuming your printer and computer can make things correct with the HP Smart application. Unplug the printer’s power cable and plug it back in afterward an insufficient second.
Power on the printer and check if the HP Smart app classifies your printer. Restart your computer if the error message continues.
- Check Power Supply to Printer
Initially, ensure that the printer is correctly connected to the computer and has power. If the printer cannot, try persisting it into a diverse outlet. You may need to substitute the power string if the printer is still not getting power.
- Reset the Printer to Factory Settings
If you aspect HP Printer Status Unknown, you can rearrange the printer to its factory settings. This will pure any existing error messages and return the printer to its avoidance state. To do this,
- Initially, power off the printer.
- Clear the power cord from the outlet.
- Wait 30 seconds, then plug the power cord back in and turn on the printer.
- If the status message still exists, contact HP customer support for additional support.
- Get Your Printer Online
HP Smart app might show the “Printer status unknown” fault message if your printer is indolent or offline. If your printer goes into sleep or standby mode after idleness, hit the power button to “wake” it. Liable on your printer model, starting a print job from your computer will also wake it from sleep mode.
Moreover, guarantee your printer and computer are on the same network (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) as your computer. Meddling from close devices (microwaves, telephones, etc.) and network matters can cause your printer to go offline. Reboot your router and disable any firewall or simulated private network (VPN) on your computer to get your printer online.
- Check the Printer Connection
If your HP printer is showing a status of unknown, the first step is to crisscross the printer connection. Ensure the printer is twisted on and correctly associated with your computer. If you are using a USB cable, try disconnecting and then reconnecting the cable. If you are using a wireless connection, check that the router is turned on and working correctly. You may also need to reboot your computer.
- Check for Software Issues on Windows
Continue with these steps to check for software matters and resolve HP Printer Status Unknown:
- Ensure you have the newest version of the HP printer driver connected to your computer.
- If you’re consuming Windows,
- Open the Devices and Printers control panel.
- Discover your HP printer in the lean of devices.
- Right-click on the printer.
- Choose “Properties” Under the “General” tab.
- After that, click on “Print Test Page.”
- This will help you determine if the problem is with your HP printer or the software installed on your computer.
- Check for Software Issues on Mac
If you’re consuming a Mac device, trail the steps to fix HP Printer Status Unknown.
- Open System Preferences.
- Clack on “Printers & Scanners.”
- Afterward, find your HP printer in the slant of devices and ensure it is set as the default printer.
- Clack on “Options & Supplies” and then “Open Print Queue.”
- Lastly, click the “+” icon to enhance a new print job.
This will help you regulate whether the delinquent is with your HP printer or the software installed on your computer.
Will my HP printer work on Windows 11?
Yes, your HP printer will operate on Windows 11. Though the transition is very flat, you might need to update or install a consistent driver to make it well-matched. Whether it is an HP, Canon, Epson, or any other, it works effortlessly on Windows 11.
Why is my printer not working after the Windows 11 update?
You should reinstall the driver if your printer is not operating after the Windows 11 update. In furthermost cases, it occurs due to an outdated driver. On the other hand, you can also check for compatibility matters on the manufacturer’s website.
How do I Check the Status of my HP Printer?
To crisscross the status of the HP printer, follow the ladders underneath and resolve HP Printer Status Unknown:
- On the computer, open the Control Center.
- Choose “Devices and Printers” from the list of options in the window.
- Right-click on your printer model and choose “Printer Properties” or “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- In the Properties window, clack on the “General” tab and click “Printing Preferences” to see a summary of your printer’s current status.
- The status should be registered at the lowermost of this page.